Life is hard sometimes. There are unexpected moments of tragedy, fear, failure and heartbreak. Then there are others times when we just feel down or overwhelmed whether it be with school, work, household responsibilities and the like.
Depression is something I have struggled with for a long time, ever since I was a teenager. Usually when I start to feel down there is no one particular thing that causes a bout of depression, it sorta just happens – you know?
If you’ve had similar experiences I just want you to know that you are not alone. Many people struggle with mental health and most of the time we hide it because we don’t think anybody will understand. We think they’ll wonder what we have to be depressed about just because we have seemingly normal lives. I know the struggle friends and I know how hard it can be to push yourself out of that dark space. As a christian I have learned to rely on my faith and encourage myself with scripture.
Here are 25 scriptures I use for comfort when I feel like I’m in an emotional crisis.
1. “Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you, he will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you.” – Deuteronomy 31:8
2. “Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.” – Psalms 23:4
3. “I am leaving you with a gift – peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.” – John 14:27
4. “I could ask the darkness to hide me and the light around me to become night but even in darkness I cannot hide from you. To you the night shines as bright as day Darkness and light are the same to you.” – Psalm 139:11-12
5. “God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted.” – Matthew 5:4
6. “The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.” – Psalms 34:18
7. “He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.” – Revelation 21:4
8. “What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us?” – Romans 8:31
9. “For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love and self-discipline.” – 2 Timothy 1:7
10. “Give your burdens to the Lord, and he will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall.” – Psalms 55:22
11. “For the mountains may move and the hills disappear, but even then my faithful love for you will remain. My covenant of blessing will never be broken,” says the Lord who has mercy on you.” – Isaiah 54:10
12. “For his anger lasts only for a moment, but his favour lasts a lifetime! Weeping may last through the night, but joy comes with the morning.” – Psalms 30:5
13. “I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me.” –Psalms 16:8
14. “When you go through deep waters, I will be with you. When you got though rivers of difficulty, you will not drown. When you walk through the fire of oppression, you will not be burned up; the flames will not consume you.” – Isaiah 43:2
15. “Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” – 2 Corinthians 12:8-9
16. “The Lord is a shelter for the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.” – Psalms 9:9
17. “Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow.” – James 1:2-3
18. “No, I will not abandon you as orphans – I will come to you.” – John 14:18
19. “If I go up to heaven, you are there; if I go down to the grave, you are there. If I ride the wings of the morning, if I dwell by the farthest oceans, even there your hand will guide me, and your strength will support me.” – Psalms 139:8-10
20. “He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless.” – Isaiah 40:29
21. “For every child of God defeats this evil world, and we achieve this victory through our faith.” – 1 John 5:4
22. “This is my command – be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9
23. “When we were utterly helpless, Christ came at just the right time and died for us sinners.” – Romans 5:6
24. “The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.” – Exodus 14:14
25. “No one will be ale to stand against you as long as you live. For I will be with you as I was with Moses. I will not fail you or abandon you.” – Joshua 1:5